Mar 21, 2023
CMST& 102 Intro to Mass Media (5 credits)
Distribution Area Fulfilled Humanities; General Transfer Elective
Formerly JOURN 101 - CCN
An analysis of structure, trends, and the technology of American mass media industries, including print media, and how they impact individuals, shape society, and influence culture.
1. Recognize the impact of the mass media on individuals and society.
2. Explain how media shape our views of reality.
3. Identify the key owners of major mass media industries.
4. Explain the market forces, such as ratings, demographics and competition, that drive mass media decision-
5. Define terms such as gate-keeping, agenda-setting, filters, noise, social cohesion and common denominator.
6. Explain the impact of mass media issues such as censorship and violence.
7. Explain how key social innovations such as the printing press, the Industrial Revolution, and the satellite altered
the nature of information dissemination.
8. Recognize the difference in audiences served before and after the introduction of mass marketing in the
9. Identify ways in which individuals can influence the mass media industries to make them more useful and
responsive to a society.
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)