Aug 08, 2022
ENGR& 224 Thermodynamics (5 credits)
Distribution Area Fulfilled General Transfer Elective
Formerly ENGR 260 - CCN
Prerequisite CHEM& 161 and PHYS& 221 with at least a 1.5 grade in each of these courses
Introduction to the basic principles including properties, processes and state equations. First law analysis of closed and open systems; energy interactions, work, heat, flow devices. Second law analysis of closed systems, cycles, entropy and energy.
Thermodynamic Concepts and Properties (A,B)
1. Identify thermodynamic properties such as temperature, pressure, and specific volume in order to analyze problems.
2. Identify thermodynamic processes and phases using property diagrams.
3. Determine thermodynamic properties and changes using charts, tables and state equations.
First Law Analysis (C)
4. Apply the first law to analyze the behavior of closed systems.
5. Apply the first law to analyze the behavior of open systems such as nozzles, turbines, compressors and heat exchangers.
6. Apply the first law to analyze steady and unsteady flow.
7. Apply the first law to compressible and incompressible fluids
Second Law Analysis (D,E)
8. Apply the second law to analyze the behavior of heat engines, heat pumps and refrigeration systems.
9. Apply the concepts of entropy to open and closed systems.
Power Cycles (F)
10. Analyze various standard cycles including Carnot, Otto, Diesel, Brayton, Rankine and combined vapor-gas cycles.
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)