Jun 07, 2023
HSEM 240 Homeland Security Emergency Management Work-Based Learning (5 credits)
Prerequisite HSEM 102 with at least a 2.0 grade. Requires HSEM program coordinator approval.
Provides students “real world experiences” in homeland security and emergency management. Students learn to work within time constraints and are exposed to appropriate workplace behaviors. Students will have opportunities to refine the core skills they have learned from the courses or curriculum.
1. Describe the Work-based Learning (WBL) site as a whole, including its history and culture.
2. interacts with other organizations and the community it serves.
3. Collaborate at regular intervals with the WBL site agency supervisor to further develop skills, realign expectations and duties, or change responsibilities.
4. Perform expected duties of the WBL site as outlined in expectations provided by your supervisor.
5. Identify emergency management techniques used from your WBL.
6. Examine the emergency management duties and responsibilities of your WBL site.
7. Analyze various types of exercises used by this organization and their specific purposes and objectives.
8. the mission of your WBL through personal and professional actions.
9. Effectively work with internal and external customers.
10. Relate prior academic theory to current work experience.
11. Working with your WBL supervisor and instructor, design and implement a feasible project plan.
12. Identify specific skills and knowledge required by working emergency managers.
13. Produce a project report.
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)