Sep 24, 2022
HSSA& 101 Introduction to Chemical Dependency (3 credits)
Distribution Area Fulfilled General Transfer Elective
Formerly ALCDA 111-CCN
An orientation to chemical dependency and psychoactive drug abuse, including etiological theories of chemical dependency; history of alcohol and other psychoactive drugs; and basic principles of prevention, intervention, and treatment.
1. Examine obsessive compulsive addictions and describe how these cut across addictions in all the counseling fields.
2. Explain and discuss the disease concept of alcoholism & drug addiction and opposing theories.
3. Discuss the history of drugs and alcohol including social policies.
4. Describe neuron action receptors and the neurotransmission process.
5. List and describe the classifications of drugs and be able to recognize some signs and symptoms of these drugs.
6. Describe the impact of drugs and alcohol use on the family and social systems.
7. Describe and explain the concepts & effectiveness of 12-Step programs.
8. Apply principles of intervention and treatment strategies in a simulated situation.
9. Define and discuss dual diagnosis.
10. Discuss the differences between shame and guilt and their respective impact upon chemically abusing individuals & those associated with them.
11. Define and discuss terms and laws specific to the chemical dependency field.
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)