May 25, 2022
NUTR& 101 Nutrition (5 credits)
Distribution Area Fulfilled Natural Sciences; General Transfer Elective
Introduction to the role of nutrition in human health with respect to essential nutrients, factors that affect eating habits, food advertising, nutrition and disease and establishing a healthy lifestyle.
1. Discuss and define diet planning principles and their application for individual dietary needs.
2. Identify factors that influence eating habits.
3. Evaluate a food label and identify reliable and unreliable sources of nutritional information.
4. Define and apply the Dietary Reference Intakes and their use for healthy individuals.
5. Identify the essential nutrients, their basic functions in the body and significant sources.
6. Sequence the steps for digestion of food and absorption of nutrients, and identify factors that influence these processes.
7. Discuss the concept of energy balance as it relates to exercise, nutrition and weight management.
8. Discuss the principles of fitness and the unique energy and nutrient needs for physical activity and exercise.
9. Discuss food safety and consumer issues.
10. Identify the relationship between nutrition and disease.
11. Identify the changes in nutritional requirements throughout all life stages.
12. Demonstrate proficiency in analysis of a Food Intake Record.
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)