Nov 28, 2023
PSYC 230 Intro to Personality (5 credits)
Distribution Area Fulfilled Social Sciences; General Transfer Elective
Formerly PSYCH 230
Prerequisite PSYC& 100 or PSYC 201 , with a 1.5 grade or better.
A survey of contemporary personality theory, assessment and change.
1. Describe the difference between research-focused and theory-focused emphases in personality psychology.
2. Describe the basic theoretical concepts of major theorists/theoretical approaches, including the background of theorist and its impact on theory.
3. Describe the components of major theoretical approaches, which include the dynamics, constructs, and developmental issues.
4. Describe the theoretical approach’s major mode of inquiry and clinical methodology.
5. Describe the major criticisms leveled against each theoretical approach.
6. Explain and interrelate the theoretical approach with its components.
7. Apply a theoretical approach and its components to contemporary issues in personality (e.g. parental and child-
rearing style, sexual identification, self-concept, achievement, interpersonal relationships, work and mental illness).
8. Analyze critical psychosocial issues (e.g. obedience, aggression, and anxieties) from a personality perspective.
9. Distinguish among a variety of personality assessment strategies by identifying the following for major test batteries: format, mode of delivery, rationale for test’s use, limitations of test.
10. Compare and contrast the personality assessment strategies with principles of research methods in psychology.
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)