Nov 28, 2023
VT 104 Animal Nursing II (5 credits)
Prerequisite Enrollment in the Associate Degree in Veterinary Technology.
Introduction to the preparation of the surgical patient, assisting the doctor in sterile surgery, pre and post-operative care of the patient, performing basic dental prophylaxis.
1. Apply chemical disinfectants to control microbes in the veterinary hospital.
2. Perform routine cleaning, disinfection, and maintenance of surgical equipment and facilities.
3. Prepare commonly used surgical packs.
4. Use the autoclave to sterilize surgical packs.
5. Identify commonly used surgical instruments and describe their use during routine surgical procedures.
6. Prepare the animal patient for surgery by providing preoperative care and disinfection of the surgical site.
7. Perform a surgical scrub on self and don the sterile garments necessary to function as a sterile assistant during surgery.
8. Assist the veterinarian during surgery functioning as a sterile or non-sterile surgical nurse.
9. Provide postoperative care to surgical patients and monitor them for possible complications.
10. Describe routine surgical procedures performed on small domestic animals.
11. Describe normal tooth development and recognize dental abnormalities.
12. Perform basic dental cleaning on small animals.
13. Use and maintain dental equipment.
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)