Aug 08, 2022
VT 265 Clinical Techniques Laboratory (3 credits)
Prerequisite Second year standing in the Veterinary Technology Program
Advanced laboratory principles and techniques for veterinary technicians.
1. Perform lab skills using infection control techniques and following safety requirements.
2. Document technical hospital procedures.
3. Demonstrate capabilities of independent analysis and/or synthesis of and performance on assigned tasks.
4. Demonstrate time management, responsibility, and the ability to work in diverse teams.
5. Demonstrate proper sample collection, slide preparation, and staining techniques for a variety of samples.
6. Distinguish between normal and abnormal parameters in blood chemistry and hematology.
7. Perform complete blood counts and report findings for a variety of species.
8. Identify abnormal findings in urine and fecal samples from multiple species.
9. Perform urinalysis and fecal analysis accurately and efficiently.
10. Identify common parasites from a variety of samples and species.
11. Grow representative bacterial cultures from samples collected from a variety of sources.
12. Demonstrate proper microbiological techniques to isolate bacteria and perform antibiotic susceptibilities.
13. Distinguish and report stages of the estrous cycle, perform vaginal cytology.
14. Perform a complete anesthetic procedure on a dog and/or a cat.
15. Calculate proper medical dosages.
16. Perform a variety of radiologic techniques.
17. Demonstrate sterile gowning and gloving techniques.
18. Demonstrate proper surgical pack preparation and handling.
19. Successfully apply and manage bandages.
20. Using veterinary management software complete inventory assignments, demonstrate accurate record keeping, and fill prescriptions.
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)