Feb 08, 2023
DHYG 277 Restorative Dentistry and Dental Materials I (3 credits)
Prerequisite Current enrollment in the Bachelor of Applied Science in Dental Hygiene program.
Develops foundational knowledge in restorative including properties of dental materials, chairside assisting and fabrication of select therapeutic oral devices.
1. In a lab setting, consistently describe, identify and/or demonstrate competent skills to a clinically acceptable level:
a. dental chair-side skills as it applies to four-handed dentistry.
b. in maintaining a clear operating field for intraoral treatment using high speed evacuation and retraction.
c. the procedure for taking accurate maxillary and mandibular alginate impressions.
d. the pouring of an intraoral impression in plaster or stone.
e. a working knowledge of a model trimmer and its attachments.
f. the use of a vacuum former for the purpose of fabricating a bleach, fluoride and/or other intraoral therapeutic trays.
g. the placement of a dental dam, clamp selection and various techniques associated with each.
2. Compare and contrast the different types of prosthetic impression materials used in dentistry.
3. Accurately identify and discuss the properties of alginate impression materials.
4. Accurately identify and discuss the properties and types of gypsum products.
5. Accurately identify and describe the use of dental instruments used in restorative procedures when placing amalgam and/or composite restorations.
6. Accurately identify and demonstrate a working knowledge of burs used in dentistry for restorative procedures.
7. Accurately identify, define and apply dental nomenclature at all times.
8. Describe and identify ideal Class I to Class VI cavity preparations for amalgams and composite restorations.
9. Discuss the indications and contraindications of bleaching teeth and describe the various teeth bleaching materials, methods and techniques, including ethical considerations.
10. In all settings, demonstrate professional communication skills using correct terminology and vocabulary necessary to discuss restorative procedures with patients, peers, and other health care professionals and health care teams to foster health and health behavior.
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)