Mar 20, 2023
DHYG 438 Community Oral Health Practicum (1 credit)
Prerequisite Current enrollment in Bachelor of Applied Science in Dental Hygiene program.
Integration of instructional and research application. Entails exploring the role of the dental hygienist in public health agenda, community outreach services, advocacy, and business management as an integral member, leader, and agent of change in the inter-disciplinary healthcare team.
1. Acquire, understand, process, and draw conclusions from information using observation, analysis, interpretation, speculation and evaluation.
2. Demonstrate the ability to identify problems and engage in problem-solving using alternative answers.
3. Demonstrate civic, social and environmental responsibility appropriate to the community.
4. Demonstrate an awareness of the implications of sound oral health practices.
5. Function effectively under conditions of ambiguity, uncertainty, and conflict.
6. Recognize and explain the oral health status and oral health needs of high-risk populations as it relates to establishing business definitions, market strategy, and service line products.
7. Describe and utilize criteria for selection of appropriate target populations for community oral health programs and prospective business entities.
8. Explain and utilize the components of community oral health program development;
a) Assessment, b) Planning, c) Implementation, d) Evaluation.
9. Function as an effective community oral health educator for groups of people by utilizing appropriate criteria and techniques for dental surveying and educational instruction in the development of a business model.
10. Develop the ability to write business plans and evaluate oral health program goals and objectives with understanding of their values and limitations.
11. Apply and conduct evaluation principals and procedures to determine the extent to which specified community program goals and objectives have been attained through service learning projects and business development.
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)