Dec 03, 2022
DHYG 472 Service Learning: Healthcare Teams and Community Oral Health Practicum (5 credits)
Prerequisite Acceptance into the Bridge BASDH program per current qualifications.
A course incorporating dental public health agenda and the development and implementation of community-based targeted outreach services. An integration of instructional and research application. Entails exploring the role of the dental hygienist in public health agenda, community outreach services, advocacy, and business management as an integral member, leader, and agent of change in the inter-disciplinary healthcare team.
1. Describe the various roles of a dental hygienist in a community-based setting.
2. Self-assess application of professionalism and communication as related to the role of
administrator manager, and/or public health advocate.
3. Provide professional reflective peer evaluation using assessment criteria.
4. Differentiate between service-learning and community-based programs.
5. Identify the critical components of business plan development.
6. Develop a written formal business proposal individualized to your specialty business development.
7. Utilize promotional skills to present business plans to potential clients and/or investors.
8. Identify community agencies, health networks, and healthcare professionals involved in the
provision of (oral) health services for special needs and/or under-served populations.
9. Design and/or modify oral self-care practices for specific populations to best serve community
10. Acquire practical experience in service learning projects specializing in the provision of services
to special needs and/or under-served population cohorts.
11. Self-reflect on individual learning experiences providing services to special needs and/or
12. Collaborate with other healthcare and community-service professionals as an integral part of an
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)