Mar 21, 2023
FSLM 265 Fire Officer II (4 credits)
Prerequisite FSLM 195 with at least a 2.0 grade.
This course is an introduction to a fire officer’s duties as written by the requirements of the National Fire Protection Agency (NFPA) 1021, Standard for Fire Officer Professional Qualifications. Content includes interaction with government agencies, report writing, managing human resource, RMS, budgets, performance appraisal and exposure reports.
1. Examine management theories.
2. Discuss functions of management and skills of an effective manager.
3. Analyze types of local, state and federal governments and their effect on fire and emergency services organizations.
4. Examine interagency and intergovernmental cooperation and their effect on mutual aid, multiagency and multijurisdictional incident response and cooperation.
5. Identify the types of analysis and the steps in the analysis process.
6. Evaluate the principles of supervising personnel as it applies to group dynamics, evaluation and counseling.
7. Recognize and apply the principles of policy and procedure development, budget development and purchasing activities.
8. Interpret community risk analysis as it applies to a fire and life safety inspection program.
9. Analyze basic fire investigation and motive/methods used by arsonist.
10. Evaluate the basic principles of operational plan development and the advanced organization of the Incident Management System (IMS).
11. Examine Post Incident Analysis (PIA) and the process for developing it and how it is used in post incident critique.
12. Recognize and understand initiatives in safety investigation and analysis.
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)