Aug 08, 2022
DHYG 275 General Pathology (2 credits)
Prerequisite Current enrollment in the Bachelor of Applied Science in Dental Hygiene program.
An introduction to the mechanisms of diseases, including basic genetics, and the recognition of characteristics of diseases encountered in the practice of dental hygiene.
1. Discuss etiology and factors involved in the pathogenesis and diagnosis of disease.
2. Discuss and accurately recognize abnormal growth patterns.
3. Discuss and accurately recognize the signs and symptoms of inflammation.
4. Describe and accurately recognize the types of immunity and autoimmunity and discuss their clinical considerations.
5. Discuss allergy and the immune system.
6. Describe and accurately recognize infectious diseases and discuss their diagnosis and clinical considerations.
7. Describe common vaccines and accurately explain how they work.
8. Accurately identify risk factors and recognize the warning signs of cancer.
9. Accurately differentiate between benign and malignant neoplasms and discuss their diagnosis and clinical considerations.
10.Describe DNA’s role in heredity.
11.Describe and accurately recognize hereditary diseases and discuss their diagnosis and clinical considerations.
12.Explain the function and importance of vitamins and minerals in the diet.
13.Accurately identify manifestations of malnutrition, obesity, and substance abuse and discuss their clinical considerations.
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)