Dec 05, 2023
PCADA 087 Reading/Writing/Communication for United States Civics (ABE) (5 credits)
This course will help students develop critical thinking, reading, and writing skills at the high school level. Students will demonstrate their reading for comprehension and reflective thinking as well as writing through explanatory, expository and argumentative writings.
1. Communicate opinions and ideas through writing to support analysis, reflection, and research.
2. Demonstrate critical thinking skills by organizing and analyzing information and reflecting upon its meaning.
3. Use evidence representing different points of view to support claims.
4. Apply standard rules of citation to properly format papers and credit sources.
5. Use a wide range of reading and AVID strategies and routines to provide an accurate summary of the text.
6. Integrate prior knowledge with new information to deepen synthesis of information.
7. Develop clear and focused sentence and paragraph structures using proper punctuation and mechanics of written English.
8. Develop and strengthen writing by planning, revising, editing, and rewriting.
9. Summarize, paraphrase, and quote accurately.
10. Document and use primary and secondary sources to support main ideas.
11. Construct an annotated bibliography using valid source materials.
12. Use computer skills/programs for academic purposes such as word processing, email, and learning management systems.
13. Perform research using technology.
14. Determine the meaning of words and phrases as they are used in text, including figurative and connotative meanings; analyze the impact of specific word choices including words on meaning and tone, including words with multiple meanings.
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)