May 12, 2021
Created by Pierce faculty, this map outlines the initial coursework for this career field. It provides you a clear path to complete your degree by listing a specific set of courses relevant to your program and career. The map is designed with the appropriate number of credits and meets degree requirements. Courses are organized in a recommended sequence; please schedule accordingly. If a course is unavailable, select the next appropriate course within the sequence. For each course, a purpose statement explains how the content relates to your career field. On this map, there may be instances when you will be required to select a course from several options. Use these purpose statements and notes to choose the course that best aligns with your interests and needs. You will also find action items to complete to assure you progress and graduate on time. While this map is a great guide to courses required to complete the Associate in Applied Science Digital Design, you are responsible for fulfilling all degree requirements. Questions? Your Success Network is ready to help you!
1. College Success
- COLLG 110 College Success (3 credits)
Course purpose: A foundational course to explore and affirm a career choice and build upon the skills, knowledge, and resources that will support you at Pierce College and beyond.
Note: The College Success course you select will depend on the Career Pathway Map you are following. Your advisor will assist you in selecting either the 3- or 5- credit version of the course. Should you choose to repeat a College Success course you must enroll in a College Success course with the same credit amount as the original course; a COLLG 110 course grade can only be replaced with a grade from another COLLG 110 course and a COLLG 115 course grade can only be replaced with a grade from another COLLG 115 course.
2. Art Course Recommendation
3. English Composition I
- ENGL& 101 English Composition I (5 credits)
Course purpose: Develop written communication skills in order to create content for clients, employers and businesses in a clear, concise and professional manner.
Note: Your advisor will assist you in reviewing your Guided Self Placement and selecting either the 5-credit or the 7-credit co-requisite ENGL& 101 + ENGLC 101 course.
Note: If transferring to Evergreen State College, you must complete ENGL&101 with a GPA of 2.0 or higher.
Action Item: Meet with Advisor
Use your Success Network! In your first quarter, meet with your advisor to revisit your career and transfer path, make adjustments to your goals as needed, and plan for your next steps.
Note: If transferring to Evergreen State College, four criterion must be met:
- Earn a technical associate degree from a regionally accredited Washington community or technical college. Eligible degrees include: AAS, ATA, AAT, or AAS-T degrees.
- Complete ENGL&101 with a GPA of 2.0 or higher.
- Complete a minimum of 20 academic, quarter hours of college-level credits with a GPA of 2.0 or higher in each course. No more than 10 credits earned in the same subject area can count toward the 20 credit minimum.
- Have a cumulative, college-level GPA of 2.5 or higher.
4. Intro to Graphic Design and Rich Media
5. Math Course Recommendation
- BTECA 117 Business Mathematics (5 credits)
Course purpose: This course provides the foundation of math skills needed in a business environment.
- MATH& 107 Math in Society (5 credits)
Note: The math course you select will depend on the Career Pathway Map you are following, the transfer institution/degree that you select, and your math placement guidance. Your advisor will assist you in selecting the relevant 5 or 7 credit course(s) based upon co-requisite options.
6. Human Behavior Course Recommendation
7. Layout Design and Publishing
10. Fundamentals of 3D Modeling and Animation
- DDSGN 140 Fundamentals of 3D Modeling and Animation (5 credits)
Course purpose: This is the first media design class in the program. It teaches the creation of 3D models and how to texture, light and animate them. From Game Design to Graphic Design, 3D modelers, texture artists and animators are always an in-demand field.
11. English/Journalism Course Recommendation
Action Item: Internship
Secure an internship. Meet with your advisor for assistance.
13. Fundamentals of Digital Photography and Adobe Photoshop
14. Fundamentals of Video Production
16. Fundamentals of Motion Graphics and Interactive Media
17. Digital Design Course Recommendation
Choose one grouping or a combination of courses from each group (3 courses total). Meet with your advisor to discuss options.
Action Item: Meet with Advisor
Meet with your advisor if you have any course substitutions that need to be submitted to the evaluations office.
21. Supervised Internship