2023-2024 Pierce College Catalog 
    Apr 21, 2024  
2023-2024 Pierce College Catalog

Dental Hygiene - Associate in Applied Science to BASDH Bridge Program Information

BASDH Bridge Degree

The BASDH Bridge degree is for licensed dental hygienists who earned their dental hygiene degree/certificate in Washington State in 1973 or after from a college that is/was accredited by the local accrediting Northwest Commission of Colleges and Universities.

Pierce College will accept your Washington State (WA) dental hygiene degree/certificate, WA State dental hygiene license, active and in good standing, or your USA dental hygiene license, active and in good standing, to meet approximately 40 of the 60 upper division quarter credits towards your BASDH degree.

The Bridge BASDH is fully online and does not require a clinical component other than teaching observations. The service learning and the education courses may require observations in a dental hygiene, dental assisting or dental school setting. To learn more about this opportunity, please visit the Bridge BASDH website.

Licensure Eligibility Requirements

To practice as a dental hygienist in the state of Washington (WA), you must be licensed through the Washington State Department of Health. The Revised Code of Washington (RCW) 18.29 and the Washington Administrative Code, Chapter 246-815 (WAC) outline the practice, act, and licensure criteria for dental hygienists. Specifically, the Department of Health - Dental Hygiene Licensure site details the licensure requirements. In addition to earning your BASDH degree from the Pierce College Dental Hygiene Entry-level program, you will also be required to successfully pass the National Dental Hygiene Board Examination, the WA State Drug and Law exam, the WA state approved local anesthesia written and practical exams, a WA state approved restorative practical exam, and a WA state approved dental hygiene practical exam. Pierce College has not determined if our dental hygiene education program meets requirements for licensure outside of the state of Washington. Visit our NC-SARA Licensure Disclosure page for more information.